Collections featured at the 2014 Spring/Summer London, Paris, New York and Milan’s Fashion Weeks were dominated by print and color. Textiles with printed patterns and designs have never been more on trend and your local fabric store in Tuscaloosa, AL has all you need to keep up with this year’s hottest styles.
Designs this season varied across the board but the common theme seemed to be: bold. Runways boasted geometric shapes, colorful splashes of color, animal/jungle prints, floral designs and even your more familiar stripes and checks.
How To Incorporate These Trends
1. Geometry. Geometric patterns have found their way into most design elements this year. Everything from clothing, to upholstery, to rugs—geometric design has become one of the hottest trends of the season.
Let’s take the chevron pattern for example. This design trend can be seen everywhere…pillows, clothing, area rugs, bedding, upholstery and more. Chevron can stand alone, it can be used as an accent or it can be mixed with other geometric patterns and colors. Head to your local fabric store in Tuscaloosa, AL to pick up some patterned fabrics and see what combinations you can mix, match and come up with!
- Trendy Tip: Try mixing geometric patterns with soft, feminine florals in an outfit or interior space. For example, add a geometric patterned pillow on top of a floral bedspread or throw, or take a bold striped skirt and pair it with a flowery top. The contrasting themes play nicely off of each other, giving that space or outfit a super chic look.
2. Color! Color! Color! Although it may seem like a basic concept, it’s amazing how many people are afraid of using bold colors. Although grays, blacks and nude tones can be very chic and trendy, adding a pop of color can completely transform an outfit or interior space beyond what a monochromatic scheme is capable of doing.
- Trendy Tip: If you’re looking for a fun summer color pallet, try combining colors of a similar color pallet and then add a pop of a contrasting color. For example, if you have a bright yellow skirt, try finding a brightly colored pink fabric you can create a fun, summery top out of then add a pop of turquoise jewelry. The warm yellow and pink colors contrast nicely with the coolness of the turquoise jewelry, creating a nice complementary look.
3. Vibrant Patterns. Do not fear pattern! Pattern has the ability to become overwhelming, but it can also be incredibly chic when used properly. Elite fashion moguls such as Gianni Versace and Alexander McQueen are masters of vibrant pattern. Found in their runway shows, the daring use of printed patterns take their collections and elevate them to a whole other level. Mixing patterns (like we stated above) can be very flattering and interesting to the eye. It can give your outfit that extra “wow factor.”
The same can be said for interiors. Strong-patterned fabrics can liven up any interior space and give your home a high-fashion aesthetic.
- Trendy Tip: Try upholstering one main piece of furniture (i.e. a couch, a loveseat or a chair) with a large print and build off of that using plain colored pillows and accented pieces. Or take a more subtle piece of furniture and throw some patterned pillows on it to add contrast to the room.
Straight from the runways of fashion’s elite, you’re sure to find these hot new prints and trends at your local fabric Store in Tuscaloosa, AL at reasonable prices as they ramp up for Spring and Summer next year.
For more information on all of our fabric options please don’t hesitate to call or stop-in to speak with a Sew Delightful representative. We’ll be happy to help you find that perfect piece of fabric to keep budget-conscious fashionistas on trend!